Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Reading Notes: Robin Hood, Part A

 The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child (1882-1898)


I thought Robins were red (Source)

Is this finally my opportunity to write in a different way? Poetry in the style of ballads. I also had a idea to incorporate this into my portfolio stories. I have an idea for the next story. Junior as Jesus, will inspire and gain the workers of the simulation company as followers while angering the owners or executives of the company. A lot of strife. Whatever the company's owners motives are, they are the rich in the story. Jesus came for the poor, not the rich. Kinda like the idealized version of Robin Hood. But maybe I can do something with this gangsta Robin, too. 

I didn't know Robin Hood and Little John met each other as enemies. The ballad reminds me of scenes in movies where people approach each other with animosity and then end up respecting the other because they admire their talents. One of the things I remember from my research on Robin Hood was that it didn't make sense for these men to hang out in the forest year round. The temperature during an England winter went negative Fahrenheit. That's dumb that I have to capitalize that word! I was imagining the men sitting in a shack during a snow.

Robin Hood and his Blokes

Kept Inside Because the Snow

Stopped them Cold of Robbing Rich Folks

Made them Rob Each other Instead

Dang, that is terrible. I went ahead and capitalized almost everything because of Fahrenheit. I'm getting a "Hateful Eight" vibe. 

An arrow flew across the room. The arrow narrowly missed a man's face. 

"Sorry, mate. I was removing the frostbite from your nose."

Listening to the videos of the ballads makes it clear that the poetry needs to sound good sung. So if I go that direction, I can try to imagine what it would sound like sung. Because whenever I read what I above, I can only do it to the melody of the Disney song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

  This story is part of the  Dante's Inferno unit . Story source:  Dante's Divine Comedy , translated by Tony Kline (2002) I read th...