Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

 This story is part of the Dante's Inferno unit. Story source: Dante's Divine Comedy, translated by Tony Kline (2002)


I read the part in Daniel recently about the statue of different materials. I didn't know it spawned a saying about having feet of clay. Meaning weakness. I think Achilles may have been mentioned. Nothing about his heal, however.

So the parts about Muhammed have been taking out. I saw somewhere that a lot of Inferno is social commentary. That's quite bold to write about people you don't like being in hell. There's a videogame based on this story, and there's an animated movie based on the game. They both are disgusting. The story is changed a lot. Dante goes to hell to rescue Beatrice, but it's his wife. She was killed during the crusades that Dante was a part of. I think that's interesting since in the original story Muhammed, the founder of Islam, was in hell. Beatrice in the video game story dies because Dante isn't there to protect. I'm trying to say there's a connection there. I don't know too much about them, but I do know that the crusades don't seem in any way noble. 

I think my idea is to write about a person seeing their own self in hell. Each circle has themselves suffering for their own sin. Or maybe each circle contains a memory of them committing that sin. It could even be inspired by the Harrowing of Hell story where Jesus comes to save them at the end. The person in the story won't actually be dead. It will just be a recognition of their own corrupt nature and how Jesus ultimately saves them from it. 

I think a lot is from the poetry. I'm glad I've read some version of it now. I've been on the precipice of taking a class over the book several times now, but it never works out with my schedule. It still would be interesting to hear from an expert on the subject.

Nine Circles (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

  This story is part of the  Dante's Inferno unit . Story source:  Dante's Divine Comedy , translated by Tony Kline (2002) I read th...