Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Reading Notes: The Monkey King, Part B

 The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921)

The Evening Star makes me think of Lucifer, but I think he's probably the Morning Star if anything. Or maybe he has no relation to either of those titles.

He does like to call himself venerable all the time, doesn't he? He does very well at whatever he does. He excelled as the stablemaster even though it seems like a lowly job. He never complained. The expanding rod is in Dragon Ball as well.

Dang. The very next episode he complains about his title and its lowly nature. Don't speak too soon, Drew.

These devil-kings can't be good news. I suppose this is the start of the war with heaven.

I wonder if he'll find out about his empty title. The Morning Star does seem pretty clever.

3600. There was something about 360 in part A. I wonder if people thought there was only 360 days in a year at this time. Or maybe the number has some other significance.

I learned about Laozi. It's interesting how this story is an amalgamation of so many different traditions. I guess you could say that about Christianity and everything else as well.

Ha. I'm starting to feel creepy. What an odd thing to say.

He's really a joyful creature. Even when he's fearful, he finds a way to have fun the next moment.

I wonder if he'll ever break the promise he made to his first teacher.

Buddha coming and finally putting Sun in his place is like an Avengers movie. It doesn't really seem like the Buddha would belong in this story, and yet here he is. It's very interesting. 

There's a pig in Dragon Ball named Oolong who has the same characteristics as the pig in "Journey to the West."

That is a nice ending for Sun. I need to take a nap to think of what I'll write about myself.


Monkey King Shrine (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

  This story is part of the  Dante's Inferno unit . Story source:  Dante's Divine Comedy , translated by Tony Kline (2002) I read th...