Friday, January 29, 2021

Feedback Thoughts

"A fixed mindset could be holding you back — here's how to change it" was an interesting article for me because it included real word examples and situations. One of the best experiences I've had with feedback was in my eighth grade English class. The class took a quiz over the difference between it's and its, and I mixed them up perfectly. I didn't even know about the difference at the time, honestly. (Is that a defense mechanism?) Anyways, we graded them in class, and either I or the person grading my quiz told the teacher I got every single one wrong. My teacher started laughing in front of everyone. Luckily for me, this was one my favorite teachers, so I didn't think she was being evil. This moment did teach me to not take things so seriously and to laugh at yourself when you make silly mistakes. Silly mistakes are one thing, but mistakes where you thought you were right and put so much work into a project are more difficult to deal with. 

"Why It’s So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback" is true for me at times. I don't know. I do try to shy away from efforts that aren't guaranteed, and I don't want to be shackled to that mindset. I would say outwardly people probably think I'm very good at receiving negative feedback, and for the most part I am on the inside as well. Sure, there have been times where I brush off what someone says because I think it's ridiculous, but there are other times where I do genuinely think about what the other person is trying to tell me. Culture is very important. In this class specifically, I'm not nervous about receiving feedback I don't like because the stakes aren't pass or fail. It's learn or do well. Either way, it's a positive. 

Feedback (Source)


2 comments:

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

  This story is part of the  Dante's Inferno unit . Story source:  Dante's Divine Comedy , translated by Tony Kline (2002) I read th...