Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Microfiction: Nightmares

 Woody the Villain

    I walk down the stairs. Down to the basement. Perhaps to get soda. Woody is here. He's sitting in a chair. Woody is alive. He's not too nice. He's working with my dad? Boy, am I scared. It's not what he says. It's that he wants me dead. Wake up.


Pretty much (Source)


One Left

    I was in Chic-fil-A with my family and friends. I was eating a box of nuggets. A woman came to clean the table. Suddenly all the food and trash is gone. I had one chicken nugget left. I tell the woman I had one more. The box is in her hand. She rotates the box. The nugget falls to the ground. I ask her why. No reply. I demand she bring me more. She leaves and comes back. No nuggets. I get out of my chair. I scream at her. This isn't me. I'm not in control. I wake up.


Author's Note: 

    These are both nightmares I have actually had. The first is from when I was a child. Toy Story was my favorite movie as a kid. I had a huge Woody doll. One night I had a dream he was evil and so was my dad. Neither of them are evil, so you can understand why I was so frightened. I had the nightmare when I lived in Colorado, and we had an unfinished basement. When it was dark I was as afraid to go down there alone. It was scary on scary on scary.

    The second nightmare was one I had last night. The situation isn't that scary to me, although it would be very unusual to have an employee behaving like that at Chic-Fil-A. The scary part was that I was so mad at her for doing it. I was completely out of control and yelling at her. She really was remorseless, though.

  

 





1 comment:

  1. Hi Drew! I like how you used nightmares that you've actually had as the subject of microfiction--given how dreams can often be quite brief, this format works well! Your quick, short sentences here really increased the horror of these dreams to me, because everything seemed to be happening so fast with no explanation for why, just like a real dream. Overall, you captured the dream experience well!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

  This story is part of the  Dante's Inferno unit . Story source:  Dante's Divine Comedy , translated by Tony Kline (2002) I read th...