Monday, April 26, 2021

Reading Notes: Inferno, Part A

 This story is part of the Dante's Inferno unit. Story source: Dante's Divine Comedy, translated by Tony Kline (2002).


Who's the Greyhound? Even though the first page is very long, I'm reading it as if I'm actually interested. 

I remember reading this book and feeling fearful. I have no fear during this read. Maybe the pictures scared me so? Or maybe I was just more fearful back then. The idea of hell and demons was scarier.

The division of sin. The suffering, at least in this language, doesn't seem as bad as I would think it would be. I'm unsure why certain people are reserved from true suffering. The philosophers and the heroes seem mostly unscathed. The Harrowing of Hell legend is pretty. Laura already told me about, but I didn't read too much of it. I hope Jesus' sacrifice goes back in time, too, but I trust God with everything. Most of all this. I'm thankful I was born after. 

I thought about describing hell. I'm sure it has been done before. Many, many times. I think I've seen some documentaries about Dante before. Was he not in prison? Was he not in anguish at losing Beatrice? She becomes his guide later on, but did she just die, or did she leave him?

No. Beatrice was someone Dante loved from afar. The reason I thought he focused so much on the adulterous lovers was because he was cheated on in some way. I was wrong. However, it seems the lust they had for each other was a focus of Dante's. Was it because he the same love for Beatrice? The Googling I did would tell me differently. The love for Beatrice was beyond sexuality. Like God's love.

Is the Divine Comedy that humans go through so much suffering only to end up in paradise if they live a righteous life? Writing my own version of The Divine Comedy, and what it means to me, is a possible idea. I can't think of anything, though. Why is it always so lofty? 


The Inscription is On the Forehead (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

  This story is part of the  Dante's Inferno unit . Story source:  Dante's Divine Comedy , translated by Tony Kline (2002) I read th...