Sunday, February 14, 2021

Topic Research: Robin Hood

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood

    Although awareness of Robin Hood was common in the middle ages, there doesn't seem to be an exact date for when he was alive--or even if he was alive. If I'm searching for a theme to have present throughout all my stories, it would be that Robin Hood stole from the rich and gave to the poor. So getting away from an exact time period doesn't seem to go against the story of Robin Hood. In order to have more to write about it, I'm going to have to extrapolate some characteristics of Robin Hood and spin those out into the individual stories within the grand story. 

1. It would seem Robin Hood had allegiance to an authority that was no longer in power in some versions of the story.

2. He was devoted to a woman and had a group of loyal men.

3. He fought for others. 

With the first idea I could have Robin Hood be of royal descent and trying to bring glory back to his family's name. 

With the second idea I could have Robin Hood doing all he does to impress a woman. (So basic.)

With the third idea I could have Robin Hood be doing everything for himself. So while he does give to the poor, it's all for his own personal excitement. 

There could be three generations of Robin Hood, all doing things for their own selfish reasons. The transfer of wealth is completed each time, and the evil in the next chapter are the poor being fought for in the former chapter. 

There could be a Robin Hood figure who brought wealth to the pilgrims (or some other group of people who travel to a distant land). I suppose I don't have to follow real events and settings. My idea is this: those who come to America are persecuted, then they persecute (the Native Americans?), then that group is persecuted, then they persecute again. Well, that actually fits perfectly. Pilgrims to Native Americans to the British to imperialism. In reality the Native Americans never really became the ones in power. Either liberties will be taken, or I will go in a more fictional direction. 

There would have to be some resolution where someone does something truly sacrificially. Or is that too boring? I don't really care to have a downer ending where the cycle is going to constantly continue. 


Rob Hood (Source)
The ideas I mentioned before are so obvious. They could be background to actual characters. Maybe that could be my focus instead. Actual characters in each one of these generations. The main character could be the Robin Hood figure in some of the stories, but in others he could just be in the background. He could drive events forward, but the events are viewed by some other character. What do I really want to say? I want to say that no matter where the wealth is distributed evil will arise. That's easy to know. I want to say there will always be good men and women. That's obvious, too, but I think it's worth writing about if it can be interestingly said.

All the old English in the Wikipedia article is pretty funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

  This story is part of the  Dante's Inferno unit . Story source:  Dante's Divine Comedy , translated by Tony Kline (2002) I read th...