Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Reading Notes: Infancy Gospels

 


Mary and Jesus (Source)

Matthew 1-2 King James version

"and knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son"

It's interesting the King James version uses this phrase here. I'm of the impression that this means sexual relations, but Catholics believe Mary remained a virgin throughout her life. Yes, in Luke, Mary says to the angel that she knows not a man. Interesting. I'm sure there's another interpretation of that phrase just as some think Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of inhospitality rather than homosexuality and other sins. 

I've thought of a story idea while reading about the wisemen departing from Herod. I thought when I selected this topic that I would be writing a story about Jesus as the main character, but perhaps I could write about someone visiting Jesus on the night of his birth. I could start with an angel or some other divine message being brought to this character. It could be interesting. I'm not sure what there background would be. What would their offering be? Perhaps he could offer services rather than a tangible gift. Maybe he could die for Jesus as a precursor to the great sacrifice? I'm kinda thinking Jesus' bodyguard. Dang. There could be an assassination plot on Jesus in Egypt. The bodyguard could be willing to kill for Jesus and then somehow learn that's not the way. I'm not sure if I would write it in old English or not... That would make the project more interesting. We'll see. 

Tarry. I like that word. It means to stay or delay departure. 

The Lost Books of the Bible, edited by Rutherford H. Platt, Jr. (1926): The Protevangelion of James

That's interesting that this author has Joseph being a widower and older. It could explain why some are called brothers and sisters of Jesus. Maybe they were stepbrothers and stepsisters, not just followers and friends. I've heard of Mary being this young before, though. 

Wow. Joseph's comparison of his situation to when Eve was deceived is very enlightening. What Satan ruined when Eve was alone God redeemed when Mary was alone. I really like that. 

protoevangelium : Protoevangelium is a compound word of two Greek words, protos meaning "first" and evangelion meaning "good news" or "gospel". Thus the protevanglium in Genesis 3:15 is commonly referred to as the first mention of the good news of salvation in the Bible.

Well, this midwife is very similar to my bodyguard in that she pledges her life to Jesus. I've wondered before if Jesus knew who He was from his birth. This story would have you believe that. 

Ugh... That's really weird this story claims Jesus' foreskin or umbilical cord was preserved in a jar. Even weirder is that that jar was the one Mary Magdalene poured on his feet. 

It would be really interesting to do research on the connection between Zoroastrianism and the wisemen. 

I could incorporate this Egyptian idol story into my story. Its destruction could be a reason for assassination. Or I could stick with Herod. Maybe both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

  This story is part of the  Dante's Inferno unit . Story source:  Dante's Divine Comedy , translated by Tony Kline (2002) I read th...