Sunday, February 7, 2021

Learning Challenge: Sleep

 


Sleep (Source)

Why Sleeping May Be More Important Than Studying


    I remember my eighth grade teacher talking about the hippocampus and the role sleep plays in memory. I've taken a few psychology classes and have learned about the neural pathways and synapses. I know for a fact sleep helps with children remembering new words. I've always loved sleeping and get called out by my girlfriend for using words she doesn't know. All those statements are proof I'm an expert on the subject of sleep. It's just like how every person who has been driving for twenty years is an expert driver. 
    My studying pattern goes like this: I don't do it all night until I absolutely have to. When I do study until the early hours of the morning, I tend to do well on the test I'm about to take. I think there has been one occasion where I had to do that two nights in a row, but I've never done night after night of no sleep. I'm sure my performance would drop off if that was the case. 
    For the past few months I've been trying not to eat too close to my bedtime, but I've also been fasting.
I don't usually have any trouble with eating carbohydrates before I go to bed. In fact, I used to eat as much as possible before I went to bed, so I would have calories in my system at all hours. This is some hippie kind of stuff, but one guy told me once that digestion leads to bad sleep. Just like studying, I eat right before bed when it's necessary. 


                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

  This story is part of the  Dante's Inferno unit . Story source:  Dante's Divine Comedy , translated by Tony Kline (2002) I read th...