Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Reading Notes: Tibetan Folk Tales, Part A

 Tibetan Folk Tales by A.L. Shelton with illustrations by Mildred Bryant (1925)

I tried a new strategy this time. I read through the entire story unit before taking any notes. Let's see how it does. 

Breaking down these stories into elements to draw from, I would take talking animals, lamas (Tibetan monks, ha I thought Laura misspelled llamas at first), devils, ghosts, morals, proverbs, and... mentioning that the world at this time was super young.

In these stories the heroes can be deceitful. The "fortune teller" who killed the two devils was lying about being a fortune teller the entire time. The man told the ghost he was a ghost--I think the moral of that story was that ghosts can see through lies, but the ghost liked the man, so he blessed him. The carpenter tricked the painter and was rewarded. In that case it seems more justified since the painter was out to kill him without cause. The carpenter was very wise, I would say. 

In the story about the man who saved the other man and three animals, the moral might be to not judge a book by its cover. All of these stories have false friends. Jealousy as well. 

These stories have many tricksters. The tricksters are more heroic since they're only trying to save their lives. Well, the fox who grew up with the tiger and cow wasn't very heroic, but the frog king certainly was. The heroes of these stories are crafty, so I need to come up with someone who uses their mind to win at a situation. Even the king who judged between the donkey and the rock was smarter than everyone else in the room. He reminds me of King Solomon. 

Nothing is jumping out at me for a story idea right now, but I still have tomorrow's stories to think over. I like the idea of kings, lamas, and ghosts.


Lama not Llama (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

  This story is part of the  Dante's Inferno unit . Story source:  Dante's Divine Comedy , translated by Tony Kline (2002) I read th...