Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Reading Notes: Life of the Buddha, Part A

 The Life of Buddha by Andre Ferdinand Herold (1922)

    The story of the Buddha is more similar to Christ than I realized. His mother had a dream instead of being visited by an angel, but his father was spoken to by the gods. His mother was also venerated for being the mother of a savior type. I haven't read this in the story yet, only in the introduction, but it's interesting how he awakens under the Tree of Knowledge. I wonder if original meaning of that word can be compared to the Tree of Knowledge (of Good and Evil) in the Bible. That would be an interesting story direction, but I have no interest in saying Buddhism is a deception or something. I learned in a religious studies class that some Hindus upon hearing about the Buddha and Christ say that these two people sound like incarnations of Vishnu. Or maybe it was Krishna... Oh, haha. The next story introduction says it's Vishnu. My memory does work!
    I know there's multiple sects of Buddhism just like in most religions, but I've always associated Buddhism with a lack of belief in divinity in the traditional sense. That gods are so wrapped up in
 the Buddha's origins are interesting. 

"This child will have his thoughts; they are gems of a purer water."

I should probably write these words down if I'm going to tell a story:

Kingdom: Kapilavastu
King Suddhodana 

It would seem Siddhartha has an innate knowledge inside of him. The greatest teacher cannot teach him anything. John is similar to him in saying he's only worthy to sit at his feet. The Buddha is prideful about what he already knows.

His father wanted to protect him from any stimulus that would disturb his mind, and yet that disturbance is the very thing that leads him to fulfilling what the gods said he would do. So are the gods really jealous when they send the old man during the parade, or are they intervening to set in motion what is meant to happen?

I was confused about Siddhartha being taken to see all these women, and then he returns to a wife he already had. I guess his father and the priest were trying to bring him some temporary pleasures to distract him his discontent. 

This is the first time I've finished a story chunk and not had an idea for a story... I don't think I'll do a traditional retelling here. I would go in a different direction. 


Buddha (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

  This story is part of the  Dante's Inferno unit . Story source:  Dante's Divine Comedy , translated by Tony Kline (2002) I read th...