Thursday, January 21, 2021

Storybook Favorites

The Demon Slayer Named Sun

 https://sites.google.com/site/thedemonslayernamedsun/home

    I knew by the staff and the monkey holding it that this was based on Journey to the West. My awareness of the Chinese myth comes from one of my favorite shows: Dragon Ball Zdoesn't share as many elements to Journey to the West as the original Dragon Ball anime series and manga, but the main character did have a tail before getting it cut off. I enjoy the author's writing style. It does somewhat remind me of a translated story because of the easy to read sentences and how words such as "demon" are written nonchalantly. I like the design of the website, too. The background reminds me of an ancient scroll. 



   (Illustration by Xiaojun Li, from The Monkey King)


Badass Biblical Women

https://amandasmythandfolkstorybook.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html


I thought the title was interesting. While there are strong female characters in the Bible, I wouldn't traditionally think of them as badass. So in that sense, the title is intriguing. I'm interested in what perspective the author, whom I imagine is female herself, can provide to these characters. I am most interested in Bathsheba since her situation seems the worst and is representative of one of David's greatest sins. However, a lot of good came out of the situation. Eventually. 

Looney Tunes Goes to India

https://sites.google.com/view/indianepicshayden/home?authuser=0

My mind immediately goes to pop culture and my favorite heroes when I think about writing stories of my own. The first story made me think of Goku, the second Jesus, and this one Batman. Now that I see we have the ability to tell stories of our own while working off a myth, I see possibilities of incorporating Batman somehow. I think I'll need to get more ingrained in myths before I start thinking of how I can work Batman in. The author's note at the bottom of each page is useful. If I can explain how I'm combining the elements of the myth with my own story, then I can probably get pretty crazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes, Inferno: Part B

  This story is part of the  Dante's Inferno unit . Story source:  Dante's Divine Comedy , translated by Tony Kline (2002) I read th...